Friday, February 02, 2007

What, and How, We Read

I put a bunch of new books into the "Harry's Readings" column just now and it occurred to me that most of them could have been put in the "Family Read-alouds" too because we read them together. I do not send Harry off to his room to read a book and then come back and report on it! I don't particularly want to kill his desire to read.

Most likely when we read the books Harry's column, we were sitting on the red couch, Harry on one side, Sam on the other, both of them trying to get more space on my lap than the other. Annika was probably either on my lap trying to get off to play or playing and suddenly realizing that she wasn't on my lap and needed to be! Our read-alouds are family affairs because they have to be. We are all together, we all like snuggling, and hey, I'm pretty good at reading books out loud. We enjoy it.

The main difference between the Harry column and the Family column is why we read the book. If it was for a lesson I put the books in Harry's column. If we were just reading, it goes into the Family column.

Also, if Harry picked the book out at the library for himself, then it goes in his column (ie, Hush, Little Alien--definitely not for a lesson). Sam's column is shortest because he's almost always involved anyway in both the lesson and the fun read-alouds. I only put the books that I read specifically to him in his column.

How's that for long-winded?!

No comments: