Monday, February 12, 2007

Documentation, Schmocumentation!

I have our monthly meeting in the morning, so I've been trying to think of what we've done lately. I've realized that I don't have a lot of paperwork to take in, we've done only a couple of worksheets, I haven't typed out many narrations, and a lot of what we have done is just what we do.

For instance today we:

1. Got up and went to speech. Harry helped me get everyone ready to go--he was a big help. That is something we've been working on; seeing what needs to be done and doing it.
2. First Language Lessons: One of the few things that we can show the consultant. However, even that isn't written daily. However, I think today's lesson is perfect for "showing off." Harry wrote common and proper nouns for some examples I gave him (ie: I gave him the word store, he had to decide if it was common or proper and give an example of the opposite). So we have writing practice as well as grammar practice.
3. Math U See: The goal was to do lessons 7-12. We didn't get to lesson 12, but that's because I had Harry start in lesson 1. It's not easy to come to a new math program and start in the middle (or lesson 7 in this case). So he's actually made more progress than I first thought and it is pretty easy to show that with math.
4. Ancient Egypt and Story of the World: I read Cry of the Benu Bird to Harry and Sam--it is a picture book about the Ancient Egyptian creation myth. I also read from SOTW--the section on gods and goddesses in Egyptian society. It's actually a difficult thing for him to understand so we'll be spending more time on this subject. Also partly because it's Egypt and I've planned to spend the month on Egypt. I don't have any written work from this though so it's hard to "show" that it happened.
5. Lincoln's Birthday: I printed a little book about Lincoln so we read through that. There were comprehension questions, so I had him do a couple of those, but not all of them because I know he understood what we were talking about. We did penny rubs and looked for the little statue on the back of the penny. We discovered that crayons work better than pencils for getting details. We also made a "log cabin" out of pretzels and a milk carton. That was fun. I took a picture.
6. Harry read to Sam after we went to the park. Obviously aside from the mental picture I have of that, I don't have any documentation.
7. I read Little House in the Big Woods to both boys. It's interesting to me how into it Harry gets.

Anyway, that was the learning portion of the day. At least the planned portion. We all know that there is much learning in just living and growing each day.

No comments: