Monday, February 26, 2007

too much information!

While I put Annika to bed at night, I use the internet. Not for her, but for me. I write my posts, look up library books, and search for helpful information. One thing I think is helpful for homeschoolers is the wealth of information out there. It's nice to find a review of a resource you think you might like or people who have the same philosophy as you.

Unfortunately, there is also a downside to all of that information. For two reasons. First it's easy to get caught up reading about how to homeschool and forget to actually homeschool. Second, there is always the tendency to compare myself to these women who have been homeschooling for years and seem to have it down.

The first issue is where I have to make myself leave the computer, stop looking up books, and trust all of the work I've done to make things work actually will. I don't need that one more, really great book that will tie everything together and make Harry and Sam super smart. I just need the five other, pretty great books that will do what I need them to--help Harry and Sam want to know more so they can find the books they like by themselves.

I love information and the fact that there is a fact out there that I'm not aware of kills me. But I need to leave the computer and actually teach my children something. (Not now really, it's bed time, but tomorrow I will--both leave the computer and teach them something.)

As far as the comparisons go. It's a lot less clear-cut than just turning off the computer. I do get valuable information from these women. I just need to remember that I am me. My kids are not their kids. My life is not theirs. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I do believe that I am doing the right thing for my family. But I think I need to spend less time reading about other people. So if I'm scarce, that's why. Just a little more information for you.

No comments: