Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pharaoh Kluckfu Returns

Salt is amazing stuff. Seriously. I knew that salt has been an incredibly important method of preservation, but I've never seen it in action.

Until now...

For some reason I have avoided the good Pharaoh these last few days. I was supposed to change the salt on Thursday but just couldn't bring myself to do it. But finally, tonight I was resolved. Pharaoh Kluckfu was going to bathe in new salt no matter what. I also decided to have the boys help. They really haven't done much since the first day. Harry was kind of into it but also being goofy with a friend and Sam refused to be in the same room with so much raw chicken. So tonight they were going to get their hands dirty and make this project theirs.

Until Harry started wiping off the chicken in a motion best described as "the method guaranteeing that salmonella-laced salt would get all over the kitchen." And Sam stirred the salt mixture so hard that most of it went onto the floor.

So yet again, I was relegated the main chicken duty. Thankfully it still doesn't smell. I have newfound respect for salt. The skin feels pretty much like really dry skin, but the meat of the chicken is feeling really leathery. I think I decided that the chicken seemed lighter on an earlier change, but this time he actually felt heavier. I'm not sure why though. I took pictures, but I don't think it was close enough to see a real difference. Plus I'm not entirely sure there is a real difference in how the chicken looks, so I think I'll save those for another day.

Once I got the chicken filled up with salt, I did have the boys come over and fill the bag up with the rest of the mixture, which they were happy to do. And since it was clean salt, I didn't have to worry too much about unintentional food poisoning.

Anyway, Pharaoh Kluckfu is well on his was to an eternal rest. And I'm just going to rest. Hopefully not for eternity though. The kids aren't as well versed in mummification as they should be yet.

No comments: