Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Keepin' It Real

On the off chance that you've discovered my blog and think that our days are all covered in rainbows and kisses, I will post an actual conversation that I had this morning with my 10yo.

Latin began at 11:30, it's now about 12:45

Harry, "This Latin is really hard." (Goes back to staring at the ceiling.)

Mom, feeling and sounding relatively sympathetic, "I know, but if you just look at the index in the back of the book, you'll probably find the word you need defined."

Five minute pass. I think he's working, but he's just looking at his book, flipping through it, hoping that something will stick as it passes.

Harry, staring at the floor, "Mom, are you going to dress up for Halloween?"

Mom, not quite as sympathetic as before, "Not the time. What do you need help with?"

Harry, flipping through his book and freaking out now, "I don't know...I don't know what this word is."

Mom, not sympathetic at all, "If you can't say it, spell it."

Harry spells sepulchre.

Mom, "It's sepulchre. What do you need to do with it?"

Harry, "Nothing, I just needed the answer."

It still took about another thirty minutes after this conversation to finish his Latin work. It was read a page and do a one-page worksheet.

And this ladies and gentlemen is why I'm grateful for the Word of Wisdom.

No comments: