Tuesday, March 01, 2011

I Love MCT

Tonight at dinner Jason told us that a scientist at his work tried to rewrite some marketing briefs and the marketing people were not happy. He said that he scientist tried to make the marketing info more concise so it just said what it needed to.

A few minutes later Harry came to me and said something like, that's what I'm doing in my writing. I'm trying to use as few words as possible to get my point across. I knew he was listening when we went over his work in Sentence Island yesterday--we joked and talked about it like usual, but this was the first time I've really bad him make the connections between what we're reading and real life. Actually ha's not entirely true. I would hope that he would make more than one connection in the last six months. And he has, this is just one of the more recent examples and one that was totally outside of "school." He's made connections between his grammar and Latin and with poetry before.

I really do love the MCT Island level materials. I was thinking last week that I could probably use First Language Lessons for grammar and the MCT for everything else. I'm sure I could and Harry would have an excellent education. But I don't want to. It's fun reading grammar wih Harry. And honestly, "fun" is not a word I ever thought I'd use for grammar. I think I'll stick with MCT long term.

No comments: