Saturday, March 05, 2011

Books of the Week

I've posted the books that I've been reading to Emma this last little while. It's been fun to pay more attention to what I read to her and to make more of a point to read to her. It's hard when you get to be the fourth child and everyone else is so busy...sometimes you've got to remind your Mama that you may be her fourth child, but you are still her first Emma. Anyway, posting the books I read to her is a good incentive for me to read. It has me paying more attention to Emma and what she wants which is always good.

I read the book Room this week. I would love for someone who's read it to tell me so we can discuss it. Until then I'm going to keep my mouth pretty shut about the story. Having said that, it's an incredibly awful subject treated in an interesting and respectful way. Although I'm not at all sure respectful is the word I'm looking for. Someone just read the book please so we can talk freely, please.

Harry is on quite the reading spurt this week. Along with his school assignments he read The Penderwicks, The Penderwicks on Gardam Street and The Strictest School. All of those are well worth the time. In fact, there is another Penderwicks book coming out in May and Harry told me that a new Strictest School book will be out soon too. We're all excited to read them. He also read and narrated The Happy Prince by Oacar Wilde. He enjoyed the story and I enjoyed hearing him tell me about the story

Sam is in the Middle Ages right now in almost all of his reading. He's read about 8 books this week on the Crusades and Jerusalem and knights. It's perfect reading for him and Harry is right there just waiting for Sam to finish so he can have a turn too. Annika's class had a special reading day today so she took her pillow pet, blanket and three books. She took Knuffle Bunny, Each Peach Pear Plum and Panda Bear, Panda Bear What Do You See. Her teacher read Knuffle Bunny for a special treat. Other than that it's been all about Madeline Visits the White House. Not my favorite Madeline, but it's annika's and a special present from Grandma Hamilton so I'll read it whenever she wants. Mostly.

That's about it. I'm going to see if I can find the next stories in our series that we have going and find some new picture nooks for the girls. Oh and make sure I have the next set if Bob Books so that I'm ready when Annika decides she wants to become a real reader!

Other books I've seen the boys read at some point this week:
The Making of a Knight (Sam)
Crusades: The Struggle for the Holy Lands (Sam)
Castle Diary (Sam)
Harold the Herald (Sam)
Chanticleer the Fox (Sam)
The Golden City: Jerusalem's 3,000 Years (Sam)
In the Time of Knights (Sam)
The Time Machine (Harry)
The Reluctant Dragon (Harry)
The Russian People in 1914 (Harry)
Going to War in WWI (Harry)
Gandhi (Harry)

It doesn't mean that all of them are finished. It's entirely possible that they picked up the books, read a chapter and put it down thinking that they hate them. But at some point these books were in their hands. Or beds. I am always finding books in their covers. Hmmm, I wonder where that trait came from.

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

I want to read "Room" but I'm 48th on the waiting list at the Carlsbad library. Do you have it to lend out?