Thursday, March 03, 2011

Homeschooling is Easier Than...

1. Getting everyone ready for school. It is so much easier to have breakfast and get dressed at a relatively easy pace than hurry, hurry, hurry everyone out the door. The kids have chores and things to do before we begin lessons but it's still easier than getting out the door.

2. Parenting. Granted that I only have ten years experience and there's a lot to come, but I feel pretty confident in saying that explaining 1+1=2 and the causes of WWI is a lot easier than trying to explain the inner workings of girls to a love-struck boy or how to put away toys for the fiftieth time.

3. Climbing Mount Everest.

4. Homework. Oh my goodness. The amount of homework Harry had as a second grader was ridiculous. He was pretty good about doing it, but it was still a pain in the neck and took way too long.


Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of homeschooling that is difficult. It's hard to know if I'm doing the best thing possible for each child. I have to find outside classes to teach what I don't know and the best curriculum to use for what I am teaching. I have to be "on" all day, every day.

But overall, for us right now, homeschooling is the best, "easiest" choice.

No comments: