Friday, April 01, 2011

Planning is Fun!

I will have three official students next year and one preschooler. To say that I'm concerned would be a huge understatement. I honestly don't know how it's all going to work, but I'm sure I'll figure it out, probably in June of 2011.

These are my plans for next year, as of right now. They do have a tendency to change, so I'll keep you posted (since I'm sure you are dying to know!).

Harry's 5th grade: (Can I just say how surreal it is that I'll have a 5th grader next year? Weird since I'm still 20.)

Language Arts:
Math:
  • Singapore Math 4A, 4B, 5A We switched from MUS this year and he tested into 2B, so that's where he started this year. I actually expect him to start on 4A before the year is over, but I'm not sure when.
History:
  • SOTW Enhanced. I'm planning to have all three of the kids doing Ancients, but adding where I need to. Harry will work on a timeline, outlining, mapping, and all of the other stuff he is supposed to do. He'll use the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia along with SOTW. 
  • His readings will also follow along with the Ancients
Science:
  • This is my biggest concern. I'm planning to continue him with Singapore My Pals are Here 5-6 grades, but I'm not thrilled with the idea. I might just go back to my roots and follow what TWTM says to do. We'll see as the summer goes along.
Latin:
  • Latin for Children B. An easy choice. He's doing well in it and we're keeping it.
Logic:
  • I don't know. We're religious, but I school secularly and I don't really want to use something that I have to edit every day all day. So if you have any brilliant suggestions, I'm all ears. Even if they aren't brilliant, let me know.

Sam's 3rd Grade:

Language Arts:
  • Writing With Ease 3
  • First Language Lessons 3
  • Spelling Workout whatever level he is on at the beginning of the year.
  • Reading follows the history suggestions. I might have him read the same books as Harry, but do the lower level of assignments from CHOLL and have Harry do the upper. Hmm, I just thought of that. Brilliant idea! Less work for me and keeps the kids together and we can all discuss together. Awesome!
Math:
  • MUS Gamma. He's actually going to start that this month sometime so we're jumping the gun a bit. He's just breezing through math right now. I do have a concern though. Harry got completely stuck on division at the end of Gamma last year and lost all confidence in his math abilities. I don't want that to happen to Sam but I don't want to switch him just because I'm worried. So we're sticking with it until it doesn't work.
History:
  • Ancients: I'll add to SOTW but not nearly as much as I will for Harry. I'm so excited to only have one history stage to work on next year.
Science:
  • Singapore MPH Science, 3-4. Same concerns as with Harry, but going to get it anyway.
Latin:
  • Latin for Children A
Annika's 1st Grade:

Language Arts:
  • Spelling Workout A
  • First Language Lessons 1
  • Writing with Ease 1
  • Copywork
  • Reading: follow SOTW and WTM. Also Ambleside
Math:
  • Singapore Math 1A. I'm not going to even introduce MUS with her. Also, she is quite the little Harry clone so I think she'll really like it.
History:
  • SOTW Ancients
Science:
  • Playing around outside
Possibly Song School Latin if I feel like it and think she wants to.

I have massive reading lists for all of the kids that we'll work through as well.

Whew, I have my work cut out for me.






No comments: