Friday, April 01, 2011

Looking on the Bright Side



This week started out with Annika dumping gallons and gallons of fish water all over the play room floor and just never got back to normal. I sucked up as much water as I could and put fans around and checked it every so often but other than that, I just had to hope for the best. We also had a few random, one-time things come up. Annika had a Literature Parade at school on Wednesday morning, kicking off a day of driving and we were just thrown off. And, to continue the all-Annika week, she started Spring Break on Thursday. She is now out of school until the 18th. I'm going to do my best just to fold her into our regular studies next week. In a perfect world I would have the boys' Spring Break then too, but did you see our week last week?

So, rather than focus on the not-so-great stuff, here is what we did this week: (It's going to be a short list.)

  • Sam finished lessons 25 and 26 in MUS Beta. I am frantically trying to get Gamma to start on. 
  • Harry worked on capacity and measurements in Singapore Math. I think he's on chapter 3 now. 
  • Sam read some books, but I don't know what they were.
  • I do know that he read a couple of chapters from Little House on the Highlands.
  • Harry didn't read anything official for school, but he spent at least an hour reading every day, so I'm happy. 
  • We managed to do an art project this afternoon. Paul Klee from the Usborne art project book I mentioned last week.
The project idea

Sam's version.
 
Annika and Emma hard at work.
  • We played at the park and enjoyed the warm weather all week.
  • I read to Annika and had her read to me. I love when they discover how fun reading really is!
  • Emma listened to Annika read book after book to her. I just watched an enjoyed.
I've decided to find the good in everything we do. I think that this blog can easily get caught up in the "oh-my goodness, homeschooling-is-hard" mentality since I sit here thinking about our actual days. It's so much easier to focus on the negative and nitpick the day apart when I'm trying to remember everything that we've done. to combat that, I'm going to find at least five good things every day. I might not post them all of the time, but I will find them.

That and I'm planning for next year. Bright, shiny next year when I'll be a perfect teacher and my kids will all be perfect students. I can't wait!

2 comments:

MissMOE said...

We all have terrible,horrible,no good, very bad weeks--even in homeschool land. ;)

Karen said...

I think you had a GREAT week! I read your plans for next year but since I'm not familiar with the materials, I can't comment. I couldn't find anything I liked for logic this year (fifth grade--our first year homeschooling) as a secular yet Catholic homeschooler.