Monday, November 02, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Actually I'm not talking about Christmas. I love Thanksgiving. If I had to choose, I'd pick Thanksgiving as my favorite holiday. There isn't nearly as much stress and it's all about food and being together. And giving thanks, which really, we could probably all stand to do more in our lives. (And if you don't, that's fine, please don't take offense.) And while Christmas colors and decorations are prettier than those for Thanksgiving, there's something about the season that I just like.

So, we are big into Fall and Thanksgiving crafts around here. I've spent a fair number of hours searching around for my favorites--those that I can see actually doing with the kids. And even tossing some books into the mix. I will post one each day until Thanksgiving and then begin with the Christmas/Nativity posts. And this year I actually will do it--I've figure out how to use Blogger's auto post and will write as many up as I can and set them to post by magic!

So Enjoy--I hope this makes your fall a little bit happier.

Today's Craft:

Begin our yearly "I'm Thankful For..." Craft.

We always talk about what we are thankful for in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. And usually it's a tree of some sort. Last year we had a big tree on the wall of our family room with the leaves cut out of fancy paper and hung on it. The year before I think I just traced a tree on some paper and cut the leaves out of construction paper. The goal is to have the kids think about what they are thankful for more than creating a product.

This year I am putting yarn across our fireplace (which we've never used) and just hanging the leaves onto that. Or at least I will be, once I replace the tape the kids have decided to use. And by "use" I mean "pull off long pieces and twist them together until my Mom goes insane." Just to clarify. This year I plan to cut the leaves out of coffee filters for the kids to color with washable markers. Then the kids "paint" them with water and let them dry. The water mixes the colors and the end result is cool. You have to use washable markers or it doesn't work nearly as well. Once they are dry, they write what they are thankful for.

I won't post what the kids said tonight, but suffice it to say that we get some heart-warming ones and some where we look at each other and wonder why.

That's our craft for today. I will have pictures when I can buy some tape.

No comments: