Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Harrius the Mighty, 2008, part one

While Sam is going to be happily painting and drawing and playing with gnomes, Harry is going to work, work, work. Yep, no slacking for him!

This is true, but only to a point. He's going into second grade with a fifth grade reading ability and third grade math ability. He knows more history than most adults (you should see him watching Jeopardy) and he is interested in almost everything. My trouble with him is that we both like to do everything--it's all interesting and there isn't enough time in the day to do as much as we'd like. So my challenge is to simultaneously spur him on to learn all of the interesting things he wants to, but also direct him to the things he needs to know.

I don't think I made a mistake necessarily in his first grade year by expecting so much from him--the grammar and spelling and math, but I do think I could have slowed down a bit and not thought it was so important that he learn it all RIGHT NOW. So, I want him to grow and learn of course, but maybe not quite in the same quick way he has been.

That said, not a whole lot is changing for him this next year.

We'll continue with:
1. Math U See--it's working, it's really working. He'll finish Beta over the summer, I think and start Gamma next year.
2. First Language Lessons--we're still plugging along with that. I think the idea is to do a lesson every day. We do a lesson every few days. I don't think the world will spin off of it's axis.
3. Story of the World, Volume Two--hands down, Harry's favorite part of his school day. And the next volume is about the medieval period. Even I'm excited.

Stuff we won't keep using:
Spelling Workout--I hate, hate, hate it. Total busywork, no connections. It gives a list of ten words to memorize with no real rule introduced. Then you are expected to generalize from those ten words to the rest of the English language. That's fine, Harry's doing well with it. His spelling is very good and he doesn't hate it. But it's just too much busywork and I don't have time in my life for busywork (that may explain my kitchen floors).

New Stuff to Try and Use:
1. Writing with Ease by Susan Wise Bauer. I love SOTW and I'm pretty sure I'll love this one. It's not handwriting, but a guide to begin actual writing. I'm excited to see it and use it.
2. Simply Spelling. Also a new one for me. I need something for spelling and it came down to this one and Spelling Wisdom. This won out because it has a clear plan on how to use it. I like clear plans. They help me when the world does go off of it's axis.

Semi-new Stuff:
1. Literature Pockets. This is mostly for Sam, but Harry will be reading along too, as will Annika, so I'm getting this for all of us. We've used the History Pockets for Ancient History and it's been a lot of fun, so I'm looking forward to these.

The List of Maybes:
1. Song School Latin. Harry REALLY wants to learn Latin. In fact when I was talking to Celeste about possibly doing Latin next year, he started jumping for joy. Who am I to deny him his hearts desire. Since I know next to no Latin, I need something to teach it for me. Hence, Song School Latin. I'm hoping it will be a fun and gentle approach. More because I'm worried about it than I think Harry will need it. The biggest problem I have with this is the fact that it's songs. I'm not big into listening to kids sing a lot. I like my own, but I'm afraid it'll be some Latin "Wee Sing" thing. We'll see.
2. Handwriting Without Tears, Cursive. I'm not sure about this. He wants to learn "fancy writing," but he's still improving his regular writing. I'm leaning toward "no" but I might request it, then say "no, thanks."

There are a few other things I'm going to request, but I'm not going to list here because it's late and I don't want to. As I narrow the list down, I'll try to let you know what other supplementary things I'm planning to use and what I'm planning for science.

No comments: