Friday, January 12, 2007

The First Week...

We were going to Start Homeschooling this week--get out all of the books, have amazing lessons and really get into all of it...then life happened. The kitchen and fireplace tile work that was supposed to be last week was this week. Add that to my eye surgeries and the week took on a decidedly "unschooly" flavor. I am also still waiting on the MathUSee curriculum, so our math has been with books I already had. I'm also waiting for Story of the World, so history is what we've always done--read books about history (novel idea, eh?). But I'm tired of waiting and want to get on with life.

So, in our abbreviated, crazy week, what did we do?

Wild Animal Park. Harry wrote the names of the animals we saw and was supposed to draw one, but it became a power struggle and he won. I didn't want the whole process to start with a grumpy "me against Harry" attitude. We've done a couple of lessons in First Language Lessons, read Owl Moon (a really great book), done a couple of pages of a math workbook, listened to Little House in the Big Woods, started a nature journal, cooked some stuff (pancakes), and played a lot.

With Owl Moon, we talked about the illustrations--how the illustrator used blue to make it look cold and still. Harry narrated the story for me. We talked about metaphors and repeating text and how the story is really a poem. We also talked about how the author used things that we are familiar with to help us see what she was talking about.

It's amazing what you can get from one picture book.

So that's the official stuff from the week. It's been good, but next week will be better. I'll keep adding to our learning until I feel we are where we need to be as far as information and rhythm. Also I'll post a picture of a painting Harry did showing his interpretation of Owl Moon.

No comments: