Wednesday, April 11, 2007

yes, we really have done stuff...

really.

But between me being sick every other week and Easter...well, I just haven't been on here much at all. Obviously.

Also, there is that one little issue of Jason coming to me one night and asking me if I was planning to send Harry to school next year. I looked at him, completely shocked, and said, no...why?

So that started me thinking again about school and if I should send him next year. All of my being screamed NOOOOOOOOO. But I still decided to think about why not and also why it might be a good thing.

Reasons why not:
  1. I don't want to. I don't want to lose the closeness that we have developed. I like what we are doing and I'm comfortable with our little home-based existence.
  2. I can do a better job teaching him than a teacher with 20-30 kids.
  3. It's a lot of fun opening up a book and exploring it with him.
  4. We can do what we want when we want.
  5. I don't have to worry about being late for school, packing a lunch (ugg) or getting him dressed.
  6. He's really interesting to be with and getting more so the older he gets--why would I want to miss any of this?
  7. I discovered that he has a talent and interest in creating art--something that wouldn't have been discovered in ps.
Reasons to send him:
  1. He wants to go. He is very social and misses his friends.
  2. In first grade the classes are limited to 20 kids.
  3. It will be nice to have some more one-on-one time with Sam and Annika. And specifically for Sam to get out of Harry's very long shadow.
  4. It'll be easier to get stuff done in the middle of the day--it's full day school and I won't feel quite so scattered. (Hopefully)
And the decision is...

Tentatively, Harry is going to First Grade and Sam to Preschool.

The decision was really driven by Sam's need for friends. He's been going to speech for over a year now, but that's just 30 minutes twice a week. I honestly don't know anyone who has a child Sam's age that we can get together with easily. Also, with Sam's personality quirks, he needs to get together with children more.

The preschool Harry went to and that Sam is going to is a coop, meaning that I have to bring snack once a month and "volunteer" twice a month. In order to be able to do that, Harry needs to be in school. Or I need a nanny.

In a very long blog post, my thought process and my decision. I'm okay with it some days and not others. But this is long enough for now, so good night.

No comments: