Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Decision--New and Improved

After writing my last post here the other day, I thought and thought about sending Harry to school. It just bothered me that there were so many reasons I could see to keep homeschooling and doing what we are doing and so few for sending him back. I also kept thinking that I should keep him home--you know the good old feeling that something isn't right about the decision.

So, I decided to follow that feeling. We are keeping him home next year. It just doesn't work to send him back. Sure, the class size is only 20, but here there's only one child in first grade. Here we can set out a bird buffet, pretend to be Jenny Wren, talk more about Erik the Red, do all of the subtraction we can take in one day. All of those things that make learning at home fun and joyous.

It's still going to require some juggling. Sam will have speech and he will still go to preschool--that'll be the hardest thing to deal with, schedule-wise. Annika will also start speech therapy, so there will be another thing to worry about.

But really, the benefits far, far outweigh the negatives. Like, I can't even see the negatives in the rear-view mirror!

No comments: