Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Why Preschool?

The short answer--because Sam needs it.

He doesn't really know how to deal with people his own age, or around his own age. And nothing I was doing was solving this problem. Everyone his age that I know is already in preschool. I also wanted him to have a place where Harry isn't. Although, Harry did go to the same preschool and they all know Sam as "Harry's Little Brother." So there's a slight flaw in the system. Sam's teacher is new to us and didn't know Harry though.

All-in-all it's been a good thing for him, even after only two days. Sam tells me a lot about his day. Tonight he sat on my lap and ticked off the things he remembers from the day. He had snack, rode a bike, made his project. There were about five or six things that he told me about. His teacher said he didn't say much but he did talk a little. Which, frankly for me, was amazing.

I don't know if I truly underestimate Sam or if I just worry too much about him. I know he is incredibly smart and loving and funny and oh-so-stubborn. But I didn't think he'd take to preschool as well as he has. I thought he'd have a harder time relating with the other kids--instead tonight he told me that he played with a "nice boy in a red shirt!" I didn't think he'd talk for a while, if ever.

I am just so incredibly proud of Sam. He has worked so hard just to speak clearly and here he is off in the world by himself, proving me to be the overprotective mom that I am!

No comments: