Thursday, August 04, 2011

Only Three More Weeks

School officially starts for my kids on August 24th. We're actually going to start some things on the 16th (shh, don't tell Harry) because we have a quick vacation to meet my newest niece the first week of September. So I've been spending the last week planning and organizing for Harry's fifth grade, Sam's third, and Annika's first. I've done this before a few times, plus I was a teacher, so you wouldn't think this would be so stressful. But it is. I want to get as much organized before I start teaching as I can so that things will go smoothly. I try to plan nine weeks at a time. That way if things don't go quite as planned I can adjust without having to go back and change everything around. And if they do, I just have to plan the next nine weeks sometime during the first. It sounds more complicated than it really is, I swear.

Anyway, I've been more stressed this year because Harry is going into fifth grade and that's the Beginning of the Logic Stage (cue the anticipatory music). Starting homeschooling was pretty scary at first, but I could always remind myself that it was first (or second or third) grade and I couldn't do too much damage. Now things seem to be more important. If I mess up now it could actually affect his life (cue Jaws music). Anyway, I'm probably taking this way too seriously, but I've spent the last week living, eating and breathing reading lists and logic and biology. I keep hoping I'll have something to show for it soon, but for now, it's just a really messy desk.

Hey, kid, get out of the pool. Don't you know you're in 5th grade now and you should be all stressed out about it?

No comments: