Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Curse of Low Expectations

I went to my first PTO meeting last night at the kids' new school and I ran smack up against what I am calling "The Curse of Low Expectations." It's the attitude that what we have is fine, it's all we'll ever going to get and nothing will ever change, so why ask.

Example One:

I was looking at the kindergarten playground which has one small structure for up to 90 kids to play on and mentioned to another mom that it seemed small. Her response, "well, they only have 20 minutes to have their snack and play, so it's okay."

Really--I would think that since they only have 20 minutes to play, we'd like it to be spent playing, not waiting to play.

Example Two:

There is no art or music taught at the school. None. And it's not a priority for the school. However, if the PTO wants to pay art and music teachers we can. Doesn't that seem odd to you?

Those are the two main examples that came up last night. I'm sure there will be more as they actually start school!

Now I'm repeating my new mantra: "They will be fine, they will make friends, they will have fun, they will be fine."

No comments: