Thursday, April 03, 2008

Bad Days and Unschooling

Usually I write only about the fun things we do--the good days when everything comes up sunshine and roses. Honestly, though, most of my days are pretty good. Maybe sometimes just sunshine, but no roses, but still that's not bad.

Occasionally we have our days when it rains. And it rains hard. Harry didn't get enough sleep last night, Sam had speech early this morning, Annika's world is destroyed because I wouldn't let her eat all of the lotion in the house. And Emma, well, she's still pretty perfect, sleeping away in her crib looking angelic. (A whole other problem--she's sleeping too much, maybe she's sick.) I didn't sleep well last night because I did something to my right shoulder and now it hurts continually with little spikes of extreme pain. And it is literally raining today. Yeah, not too much sunshine today.

The other thing complicating all of this is that it's Thursday. I actually count on Thursdays to "catch up" from the week. Monday and Thursday are the only two days we don't have a bunch of stuff through the day. So, I use those two days as heavy academic days--there's a list of work to accomplish, and doggoneit, we're going to accomplish it.

So, what do I have with all of these moods and other things happening? A really grumpy family. (Except Sam, surprisingly he's my most even-tempered kid on bad days.) And no one wanting to do this list of work I have planned. Today I decided to have an early quiet time. Since I know that everyone is actually pretty tired, I fed them a pretty good snack at 11 and sent them to separate rooms to read, sleep, or play, their choice, as long as they stay there and are quiet. And I made cookies. Big ones, with lemon in them.

This afternoon, when I get them from quiet time, we'll meet at the kitchen table for some cookies and milk. We'll do some "real work" like spelling and grammar, and we'll read poems, stories, and make a Roman fasces.

I'm hoping that will dispel some of the clouds and bring out the rainbows and roses.

No comments: