Monday, November 12, 2007

Monday again

So on Saturday Jason and Harry washed the car and listened to music. I went out a few hours later and the music was still on--the battery was completely run down! The point? We took Jason to work this morning.

That threw us off a little--it's always hard to get started when something unexpected comes up. Somehow though, we got things together and really worked today. First up was math. I cannot wait to be finished with the MUS Alpha book. I honestly think Harry's ready to move up now, but there isn't any harm in waiting just a little. He's on lesson 26 of 30, so just a little while longer--by Christmas certainly.

While Harry worked on his math, I drew him a picture of a volcano to demonstrate where different igneous rocks come from. I had planned on saving it for later, but since he saw me making it, I decided to let him work on that instead of spelling. He labeled where the rocks come from, made some inferences on which were the hottest and coolest and answered some questions about igneous rocks in general. Our rock study is going well and he's learning a lot.

He finally finished his Benjamin Franklin copywork--again without complaint, even though this was the longest section with the biggest words in it.

We began some spelling work this morning as well. We haven't done spelling before because I have this feeling that there is no real reason to start this early, but after some more study, Jason and I decided that it would be a good idea. So he had ten super-easy spelling words and he breezed right through it.

After that we worked a bit on our Thanksgiving Notebooks--talking about the Pilgrims and what they found when they finally made it to the New World. We are reading a fabulous book called N. C. Wyeth's Pilgrims that has amazing pictures and just enough text to make it challenging for both boys. They have to listen while I am reading and can't just wander off to do something else.

Since we were of a historical mind then we talked about Moses and the Israelites. I'm still having a difficult time considering that history--we read the Old Testament Stories version just a couple of weeks ago, so I'm thinking I'll skip the rest of this chapter and move on to the Phoenicians.

Now we are in quiet time. Ahhh, the silence. I savor it and dream of it. Even though I'm going to get Harry soon and see which of his igneous rocks sink and which float. Then we can move onto sedimentary tomorrow. Oh yeah, one of the reasons we did so much this morning is that we're trying out a new schedule and I told Harry that if we were able to finish what we needed to, we could go to Legoland this afternoon and see if they had anything for his Bionicle birthday Party. It's amazing what a little bribery will do for a six-year-old!

No comments: