Wednesday, August 22, 2007

In the Beginning...

We've gotten our books, I've begun to plan, and in my enthusiasm, couldn't ignore that copy of Story of the World just sitting on the table. We did some from it last year, but it seemed like drudgery. I ordered it again this year because I wanted it to work so badly and I'm pretty sure that it was only drudgery because I made it like that. I planned and planned and thought about how wonderful it would be to do the projects in the activity book, and then when they didn't go exactly like I thought they should, I got discouraged.

Wow, look at all of those "I"s in that sentence. See it was me, not the boys.

Anyway. I pulled it out and decided to start roughly where we left off last year (Ch. 6 if you're keeping score), and proceeded to tell the boys the story of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph. It went amazingly well! Probably partly because Harry has heard of all of these prophets before. He has some prior knowledge to hang the new information on. Whatever the reason though, both boys were really into the stories.

It did seem wierd to me to tell a Bible story out of a history text and have that be a lesson (and not in the way of "let this be a lesson to you, boys"). But I got over it when they both could discuss what I had read. As the culminating part of this lesson, I cut out robe shapes and the boys glued colors to them, making Joseph's Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoats!

No comments: