Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Day Before

Annika's 2nd Birthday!

I decided not to plan much school-type stuff on Thursdays. Harry will do math and copywork, but that's all that's on the schedule. Instead, it's our "day out." It's the only day that we don't have preschool or later speech appointments. So we go play.

Although, after saying that, today we are home. It's just too hot right now for me to have any desire to do anything. I know that we could head to the beach, but even the beach is too warm. Also with Annika's birthday tomorrow, I wanted to get some stuff done around the house--make her cake, clean, make some banners, clean. Stuff like that.

Today we did tomorrow's learning work. We read some of This Country of Ours, looked at pictures of the earth, inside and out, talked about the atmosphere, played a math game, and did some copywork. All-in-all, it took about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. First grade at home is wonderful.

I have to say though, that part of why it's working so well is that I'm organized and I'm using a curriculum that I believe in. There are parts that I've changed--we are doing more organized science and I've cut out a book that doesn't work for us for religious reasons, but more or less we are following it. And it's wonderful. Harry is asking interesting questions, making connections between things, and in general learning a lot. I'm learning to be a little hands-off and let him make the connections and be responsible for his own learning.

No comments: