Friday, March 29, 2013

Meet the Austins and Algebra

I have been trying to get Harry to show his math work since he started pre-algebra. He can do math in his head a lot faster than me and he knows it, so it's bugged him that I want him to write it out. Last week I made him redo an entire page of work that may or may not have been right because there were just answers. (Before you think I'm super mean, he was told before he even started to show his work.)

Anyway, our night time read aloud is Meet the Austins. It's one of my favorite books of all time. I've read it over and over again and I really wanted a read aloud that I liked. In it, Vicky (the narrator) talks about going to her friend's house to check her math. She says, "...I find if I don't check my problems I'm apt to make silly mistakes in adding or subtracting that makes the entire problem wrong even if I've been doing it the right way."

Harry sat up in bed and said. "So, is that why you want me to show my math work?"

Yes, Harry, yes it is.

 Thank you Madeleine L'Engle.

No comments: