Sunday, February 22, 2009

School Days... or is it Daze?

I wish school was working for Harry and Sam, but it isn't. I had a whole post in my head to explain why it isn't working and what I plan to do about it. But I just realized that I don't want to go into the whole thing again. So, I'll give you a very quick rundown of the problems we are having and then talk a little about my dilemma.

Problem #1: Both boys are bored to tears. Sam literally as I have to drag him to the car kicking and screaming.

Problem #2: Harry is learning things from the kids around him that I wish he wasn't. Have you ever tried to explain the f-word to an 8-yo?

Problem #3: Homework. I'm sorry, but you've got my kid for 7 hours a day. I at least get the couple of hours before he goes to bed. We don't do busywork in this house.

Problem #4: Wasted Time. When you've got a kid who doesn't know the alphabet in a class with another kid who is reading a couple of levels above grade, guess who sits and waits for the teacher to pay attention to him. (Hint: it's the one who is reading higher.)

Problem #5: I have to wake up kids to pick up other kids from school. I could, potentially, be driving to and from school 4 times each day. Thank goodness Jason takes Sam, but that still means I have to be out 3 times. And it always hits at naptime. No matter what I do.

Solution: Bring them home. You all know that I wasn't thrilled to send them to school in the first place. So, do I start homeschooling them right now or do I wait until the fall? There are pros and cons to both options, which I will go into in a different post, possibly tomorrow, but more realistically later in the week.

Bye, gotta go prepare for preschool this week.

No comments: