Saturday, October 01, 2011

Craft Like an Egyptian

Let's face it, Ancient Egypt is cool and not only because it has it's own theme song. There are lots of projects and cool things to do.

You can write in hieroglyphics. I was going to post a picture of some hieroglyphic writing the kids did, but I forgot to take one. And I didn't save the actual hieroglyphics they did. Um, I know this is prior to the Egyptians, but here's some cuneiform the kids did:

I don't know what either of these say.


We also began the construction of a pyramid:
Mixing the sand and glue. It took a lot of glue.

This is about 24 hours after mixing. They have been cut twice and still have a lot of drying to do.






A lot of people don't actually make their own bricks and honestly I would be one of those people if we didn't have ants. It just seems silly to create a project out of sugar cubes and then break it up five minutes later because the ants found it. Plus I don't really need more bugs and semi-alive things in our kitchen with the whole chicken mummy thing going on. There is a limit.

I have to say that I don't normally do quite so many projects in such a short time. I have a friend that loves and thrives on projects and invited our family to hang out with hers. We also have the great Story of the World Activity Book that gives instructions on how to do everything.

No comments: